In a last ditch effort to bring back summer I thought I would make a light, refreshing summer-y dessert 🙂 Ice cream is always a go to during the summer but for those of us who are lactose intolerant, ice cream isn’t always a good idea. Don’t get me wrong, I crave (and eat) ice cream occasionally but its nice to eat dessert without feeling sick or having to run to the bathroom.
My honeydew sorbet is made with 3 ingredients (+ water… does that count?) and can be modified to meet your specific needs.
- 5 C honeydew, diced and chilled
- ¾ C cane sugar
- ¾ C water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Create a simple syrup by heating sugar and water in a sauce pan. Pour the simple syrup in a container and refrigerate to cool. You can freeze to speed up the process - make sure not to freeze the syrup.
- Combine the chilled honey dew and simple syrup in a blender, add juice from 1 lemon and blend until smooth.
- Pour the contents of the blender into your ice cream maker and follow manufacturer instructions.
- Freeze sorbet until solid. Before serving, take sorbet out of the freezer about 5 minutes in advance.
Fruit – Try using cantaloupe or watermelon to make the same different versions of this sorbet.
Sweetener – you can use honey in place of cane sugar in the same quantity. Be careful if you are sensitive to fructose! Honey is 100% fructose and so is fruit 🙂 You can also try an alternative sweetener (i.e. stevia) for a low calorie version of this refreshing dessert!
Also try our Diary-Free Fudgesicles for another delicious summer dessert!
Here is another great recipe to make with this product: Roasted Almond Chocolate Ice Cream
Let us know if you tried this with a different fruit!