I realize my last recipe post was about fudgesicles but I can’t miss an opportunity to share my Roasted Almond Chocolate Ice Cream recipe ? .
Brandon and I have an ongoing joke that we make the best ice cream. Okay, so we aren’t actually joking when we say this. We really do make the best ice cream.
Homemade ice cream trumps store bought ice cream any day.
Not that ice cream is something we should be eating all the time but the more affordable brands are full of unnecessary ingredients.
Exhibit A. Blue Bunny Chocolate Ice Cream Label
There is definitely a good reason to look at ingredient labels and spend a little more money for a higher quality product.
Did you know that carrageenan is a thickener derived from seaweed? Sounds harmless, right? Well, some animal studies have linked exposure to carrageenan to stomach ulcers and GI cancer. Other peer reviewed studies show that it causes inflammation, which is the root cause of many serious diseases including Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s disease, cancer and inflammatory bowel disease.
So, if you want to drop $5 on a pint of ice cream feel free to do so, otherwise make your own and save a bundle ?
- 2 C milk
- 2 C heavy cream
- ¾ C cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ C cocoa powder
- ½ C roasted almonds, chopped
- Make sure ice cream bowl is in the freezer at least 24 hours before making ice cream.
- Pour milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and cocoa powder in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Set up ice cream maker and pull ice cream bowl out of the freezer. Pour ice cream mixture into bowl and turn oil.
- Let the machine run for about 15 minutes until soft serve consistency.
- Add chopped almonds and run for another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer ice cream to a storage container and freeze until solid. Enjoy!
Sugar – cane sugar, beet sugar, blonde coconut sugar, brown coconut sugar would be great with chocolate ice cream!
Milk/Cream – full fat coconut milk
Cocoa – carob powder – or leave it out for vanilla ice cream!
Products we use:
Here is a great dairy-free recipe to make with this product: Honeydew sorbet
What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?